I joined a Vintage Peugeot Bicycle group on Facebook recently and while reading through the posts, discovered that Sophie is not an A-08 model as I thought, but is actually a UJ-10. I don’t know how I missed it when checking the old Peugeot catalogs but apparently the telling sign is the gold decal on the seat tube. Mystery solved!
When I brought back Sophie from California earlier this year, I also took the bags that I used on it back in the 80s. I re-fitted the Senator saddle bag to the Brooks B-17 and I think it looks good! It’s pretty small though, so if it doesn’t fit the spare tube I have on order, I’ll look for something a little bigger. I also ordered a new Zefal frame pump that should fit in the mounts. It’s not vintage, but it is made in France so I guess that’s something. 😄
The restoration of my Peugeot UJ-10 bicycle took a big leap today because I replaced the old rusty spokes on the front wheel with brand new DT Swiss 260 mm spokes. These are stronger and shiny. So not only is it safer, but the spokes are beautiful!
This was my first time rebuilding a wheel and lacing spokes, but with the help of this video, it was easy and actually a lot of fun!
I’m looking forward to replacing the spokes on the rear wheel next, but I am delaying starting that project because it would mean the bike would be out of service while I wait for parts. I can’t just order spokes (and hub bearings) beforehand because I need to remove them from the bicycle to measure them and ensure I order the correct parts. And I am having too much fun riding the neighborhood with Sophie right now, so I’ll wait on the repair a bit.
I’m so happy with my Peugeot project. It’s so much fun and I am learning so much about bicycles!
“Front-End-Friday” is sort of a prompt in the cycling community for posting pictures of the front of your bicycle to Reddit or other social platforms. Sometimes it’s a POV photo of the handlebars, and other times, it’s just a photo like the ones I took of Sophie today.
Because it was so hot and getting dark, I just rode to the nearby elementary school to take the photos. I don’t think they came out good enough to post to Reddit, but it was a fun excuse to get out and ride.
As a bonus, I made another video and learned a bit about how to position the camera using the clamp mount. It’s fun to try new things!